Sony has announced two new additions to its Alpha APS-C series of mirrorless cameras with the launch of the Alpha 6600 (model ILCE-6600) and Alpha 6100 (model ILCE-6100). These new additions to the range integrate Sony’s advanced full-frame technologies into compact and lightweight bodies including leading-edge autofocus performance, superb image quality and the very latest video technologies. The new Alpha 6600 has been designed to address the needs of the most demanding photographers and videographers with its versatility making it suitable for multiple types of shooting scenarios and users. The Alpha 6100 is targeted at users who are looking to make the step-up to shooting with interchangeable lens cameras and wish to shoot high-quality photos and videos in a variety of different situations.
The Sony APS-C range has been further strengthened by the launch of two new lenses, the E 16-55mm F2.8 G standard zoom lens and the E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS super-telephoto zoom lens. With this announcement, Sony’s versatile E-mount system now features a total of 54 lenses.
“Our announcements today highlight our ‘One Mount’ strategy to continually expand the E-mount system with cameras and lenses that deliver complete inter-compatibility between full-frame and APS-C. This allows Sony to offer the widest range of innovative products that photographers can utilise for their individual content creation needs,” said Jun Yoon, Head of Digital Imaging, Sony ANZ. “The APS-C segment is extremely important to our customers and our industry, and the Alpha 6600 and Alpha 6100 cameras both pack-in the very latest full-frame technology breakthroughs. Whether you shoot stills, video, or a combination of the two, we are confident all types of shooters will love these cameras.”
At the heart of both the new Alpha 6600 and Alpha 6100 sit a 24.2MP Exmor CMOS image sensor, the latest BIONZ X image processor and a front-end LSI implemented in Sony’s full-frame cameras. This powerful trio combine to deliver all-round enhancements in image quality and performance across all areas of photo and video capture.
The Alpha 6600 and Alpha 6100 offer a lightning fast autofocus acquisition time of 0.02 seconds. With 425 focal-plane phase-detection AF points covering approximately 84% of the image area and 425 contrast-detection AF points, the high density and wide coverage of the AF system ensure reliable AF, even in the most challenging light conditions. Both new models benefit from Sony’s ‘Real-time Tracking’ which utilises Sony’s latest algorithm including AI-based object recognition to ensure that subjects can be captured with excellent accuracy, even via the touch panel on the rear screen. In addition, the new models offer ‘Real-time Eye AF’, the latest version of Sony’s acclaimed Eye AF technology, which employs AI-based object recognition to detect and process eye data in real time, resulting in improved accuracy, speed and tracking performance of Eye AF for both humans and animals, and allows the photographer to concentrate exclusively on composition.
An Eye for Detail
Based upon feedback from users of existing Sony APS-C camera users, further features have been added to the Alpha 6600 and Alpha 6100 to fine tune the user experience. These include:
- Improved colour reproduction; algorithms inherited from full-frame models deliver natural colour reproduction, particularly in skin tones
- Hi-resolution internal 4K movie recording with full-pixel readout without pixel binning in Super 35mm format with easy smartphone transfers via the Imaging Edge Mobile application
- Interval shooting for stunning time-lapse videos
- 180-degree tiltable, 3.0-type 921k-dot (approx.) LCD touch screen
- Integrated Microphone input for clear and crisp audio on video recordings
Across an ISO range of 100-32000 (expandable to ISO 50 – 102400), the new Alpha 6600 offers superb low-noise performance and delivers extremely high-quality images, even in low-light conditions. By applying noise reduction and sharpness processing optimally in each area, Area-specific Noise Reduction and Detail Reproduction Technology greatly reduce noise while preserving high resolution contributing to fine reproduction of subject textures and shadow details.
The Alpha 6600 packs in many of the technology breakthroughs that are attracting praise on Sony’s high-end full-frame cameras. These include:
- Sony’s innovative 5-axis in-body image stabilisation system that results in a 5.0-step shutter speed advantage
- Implementation of the industry-leading long battery life with Sony Z Battery for the first time on an APS-C camera, enabling extended power performance; approx. 720 still images using viewfinder, approx. 810 images using LCD monitor
- A tough magnesium alloy design that is dust and moisture resistant
- Real-time Eye AF for movie shooting. When activated, the eye of a subject is automatically tracked with high precision and reliability, allowing the shooter to focus on the content itself as opposed to what is in focus or not in focus. Touch Tracking functionality will also automatically initiate Eye AF when a human subject is selected
- Integrated headphone jack which allows the user to connect high-quality headphones for accurate monitoring of recorded sound
Both the Alpha 6100 and Alpha 6600 boast internal 4K movie recording in Super 35mm format with full pixel readout without pixel binning, to capture approximately 2.4x the amount of information required for 4K movies. This oversampling results in stunning footage, delivered in the XAVC S format with unparalleled resolution. The Alpha 6600 equips an HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) picture profile that supports an instant HDR workflow. Recorded movies played back on an HDR (HLG) compatible TV will appear true-to-life, with no blocked shadows or blown highlights, without the need for colour grading. For users who want to colour grade their footage in post-production, S-Log3 and S-Log2 Gamma profiles are provided.
Pricing & Availability
The new Alpha 6600 will be available in November and will be sold at a variety of Sony authorized dealers throughout New Zealand at below prices:
- Camera body – $2,649.95
- Camera kit with Sony 18-135mm Lens – $3,349.95
In addition, the Alpha 6100 will be available in October and will be sold at a variety of Sony authorized dealers throughout New Zealand at below prices:
- Camera body – $1,499.95
- Camera kit with Sony 16-50mm Lens – $1,749.95